Thursday 12 February 2015

Balisong laws and why I think they suck

Whilst this is not a blog in regards to any outing that I have had, this is an issue that has been on my mind for quite some time. For those who are unfamiliar with them, a balisong; otherwise known as a butterfly knife, is a blade which is folded between two pieces of metal. The two pieces of metal are then connected to two hinges which fold away from the blade in opposite directions and held together by some kind of locking mechanism, forming the handle. Here is an example:

  Current legislation in Victoria, Australia states that a balisong is classed a prohibited weapon, which means that it is illegal to buy, own, import or carry a balisong in the state of Victoria without a valid permit. Whilst I tend to agree with almost all of Australia's weapon and knife laws, this is one that is perplexing for a number of reasons.

  Whilst I certainly do not believe that anybody should be allowed to carry a knife on their person for general use in an urban or suburban environment, a single edged blade can be purchased by any individual over the age of 18. These can range from a five centimeter folding knife to an eighty centimeter, full tang machete and are not legal to carry in urban or suburban areas without a lawful reason. Once again I must state that as much as  I enjoy using my blades as camping and survival tools, I completely agree with these laws and do not believe that they should be overturned.

  This brings me to my main question, why is the balisong singled out as a prohibited weapon? Is it more dangerous than other folding or fixed blade knife? Is it more easily concealed than other folding knives? Is it easier to obtain than any other blade? My honest opinion on all of the above points is no.

  Whilst I understand that a balisong may look menacing and intimidating, the average blade length is only around twelve centimeters, which is no different to the size of your average folding knife. This also means that they are no more or less concealable than your average folding knife. In fact, the majority of folding knives even come with pocket clips so that they can be easily accessed when needed. I will say that the price of a balisong online is quite cheap, but once again I must also state that most folding knives are not expensive. There are high end folding knives which tend to get very pricey, however a folding knife can be picked up at most outdoors shops for around fifteen or twenty dollars.

In summary, I believe that inconsistency coupled with misunderstanding of the product has lead to an unfair ban on what is essentially an average sized pocket knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment