Friday 24 August 2018

Pooping in the Bush - How to look after number one while going number two

  On a recent camping trip with my friend Tom from Larrikin Outdoor Adventures I was faced with a problem I hadn't previously encountered in the bush, I was forced to poop without the aide of a toilet. This might sound like a non-issue to most seasoned bushmen, but this was something that I hadn't yet been forced to think of and has made me completely change my approach to bush camping. Luckily for me I always carry at least one roll of toilet paper in my pack, although Tom had several in his ute. This forced me to think about how I would combat the problem in the future and thought that I should pen my issues and use this as a reference point, should this problem arise for either myself or anybody else in the future.

  Always bring toilet paper, even when only going for a day trip. I carry at least one roll in the back of my car and another in my pack. As a general rule, I aim to carry at least one roll, per person, per day. This may seem excessive, but for those who have issues with bowel movements, it is essential.
  One must also consider that on most bush trips, the food being consumed is not typical of what one would consume in the home. It tends to be far more processed, with far less fibre than a typical home cooked meal.
  One would hope that it would not happen, but there is also the chance that water of questionable quality would be consumed. This would lead to far more frequent bowel movements, although it is worth mentioning that the effects of drinking questionable water are not normally seen until around seventy-two hours after consumption.
It doesn't matter the brand of paper, just wipe your business end
   Either pack or improvise an entrenching tool, no matter what kind of trip is being undertaken. This can vary from anything such as a folding shovel, a small garden trowel, a larger shovel, a garden spade or even something as simple as a stick that is found in the field. The hole should be approximately fifteen to thirty centimetres deep, depending on the size of one's bowel motions and the number of people on the trip. Though I would recommend, for obvious reasons, that each person dig their own individual holes.

  Pick a spot prior to getting the urge to go. This was a lesson that I learned the hard way. It is best to choose a tree that is a least one hundred metres away from camp, that does not have any limbs that are likely to fall on an unsuspecting camper underneath it and if need be, a tree that is large enough to offer some degree of privacy.
  The last thing an individual wants to be worrying about, is trying not to defecate in one's pants while looking for a suitable spot, then digging an appropriate sized hole. Or even worse, doing one's business and having to bury it after the fact

  Clean yourself up after the fact. I know this should go without saying, but some people really do forget to clean themselves up after using the toilet. Whilst you may not have the correct provisions available to wash your hands, it is always worth packing hand sanitiser in either your first-aid kit or hygiene kit, washing your hands in the river or stream, or if the weather is suitable, going for a swim in the river or stream to clean yourself up.
  It is through poor hygiene practices that we spread bacteria and allow diseases to thrive. Anybody who has ever had a case of gastroenteritis can attest to just how debilitating, uncomfortable and helpless one feels when vomiting while defecating pure liquid.

One wants to aim have a type four, but this may vary depending on the individual

  Ensure good bowel and gut health before leaving. This is more of a precursor to the trip than anything, but it becomes even more apparent when in the bush. After three separate bouts of diverticulitis, it is something that has become more apparent to me as I have gotten older.
  If an individual does not have regular, well-formed stools before beginning a trip, the entire trip is one of pain, discomfort and anxiety over where, and when, one will need to use their bowels. once more I will reiterate that this comes from first hand experience.



  Hopefully the information provided here is of some use to somebody reading. These are lessons I have learned so far in my travels, though I am sure that there will be many more along the way. Stay safe, stay clean and have fun out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment